I’ll be the first to admit, cooking tofu can be boring. Tofu has a bad reputation in the protein world, especially among meat eaters. It gets labeled as “flavorless” and “spongy”, two words I used to describe it as as well. However, as I progressed into my vegan lifestyle, I knew tofu would become a staple in my diet (you can’t beat the price!) so I started experimenting.
At first, I was not super impressed. I made the common mistake of not pressing it for long enough, coating it in too much cornstarch before baking, or not using enough seasoning. With time, I learned the ropes and was able to make tofu something I genuinely enjoy (I eat it almost everyday now!)
This recipe is a new one for me, but it was one of the first tofu recipes I made that turned out amazingly on the first try. The secret? Replenished Roots Seed Cycling Blend (Luteal Phase Blend.) This ground mixture of sesame and sunflower seeds is meant to be incorporated daily for the luteal phase of the menstrual cycle to support hormone health, so adding them to my tofu coating was an easy way to get those into my diet. If you want to know more about seed cycling, check out my instagram post with details.
If you’re looking to impress a tofu skeptic, this is a great place to start. Otherwise, check out my fan favorite “honey” sriracha tofu recipe here.
- 1 block tofu (extra firm)
- 4 tbsp Replenished Roots Seed Cycling Blend (or grind up sesame and sunflower seeds in a food processor)
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 – 2 tbsp soy sauce (I used coconut aminos)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit (if using an airfryer, skip this step)
- Next, press the tofu for at least 20 minutes (I find it easiest to use a towel and heavy objects like cutting boards)
- While pressing the tofu, combine the olive oil and soy sauce in a bowl. Set aside
- On a plate, combine the nutritional yeast, garlic powder, half of the seed blend, and S & P. Mix together and set aside
- Once the tofu is pressed, cut the tofu into small slabs. Coat the tofu in the oil + soy sauce mixture and then transfer the slabs onto the plate with the coating. Cover with the coating and set on baking sheet (or in air fryer)
- Cook the tofu for 25 minutes (flipping halfway) in the oven, or 12 – 15 minutes in the air fryer
- When cooked, remove the tofu slabs and coat with the remaining seed cycling blend.
- Complement it with your favorite sides & enjoy!
- To optimize hormone health, eating the seed blend raw is the most beneficial. This is why it’s vital to top the tofu with seeds when finished cooking.
- If you’re looking for crispy tofu, or tofu nuggets, add 1 – 2 tbsp of cornstarch to the coating before baking.
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.