To kick off 2022, the weather gods decided to give Colorado a huge snow storm. This made going out to celebrate the new year less enticing, and it made staying in and cooking a comfort meal that much more exciting. As someone who loves soup, I figured a hot bowl of tortellini soup would hit the spot while I watched the snow fall. However, I have never had a vegan version of tortellini soup, so I figured I would write my own recipe and hope for the best!
Thankfully, I had beginners luck with this recipe. Not only was I able to find my favorite brand(s) of vegan sausage and tortellini at Whole Foods, this recipe also knocked my socks off (and my boyfriends, too!) Plus, we were able to make it in one pot in less than half an hour, so it was quick, simple, and still super comforting. If you need a new heart-warming soup recipe to add to your repertoire, this can be your new go to.
Category: Dinner, Soup | Servings: 3 – 5 | Cook time: 25 minutes | Prep Time: 10 minutes | Allergens: Soy, Coconut
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3-5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 a white onion, chopped
- 1 – 2 tsp italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp red pepper flakes
- 1 – 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 2 Field Roast Smoked Sausages, sliced (found at Whole Foods)
- 2 tbsp flour
- 300 ml canned tomatoes
- 4 – 5 cups veggie broth
- 4 cups spinach
- 1/2 a can coconut cream
- 1 package Kit Hill Tortellini (I used the cheese stuffed ones)
- 3 pieces of thyme
- 4 pieces of sourdough bread (or 1/4 of a loaf)
- 2 – 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- Start by preparing the onion, garlic, and sausages. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over low heat
- Once the olive oil is heated, add in the chopped ingredients. Cook for 8 – 10 minutes, or until the onions are translucent. Add in the spices while you cook, stirring often
- Next, add in the flour and stir until the ingredients are coated
- After the flour has been added, add in the tomatoes, veggie broth, and thyme. Bring to a simmer, then lower the heat and cook for 10 – 12 minutes, adding the spinach half way through
- Lastly, add in the tortelinni and coconut cream and cook for an additional 4 – 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Optional: Croutons Instructions
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit
- Chop the sourdough into small cubes and add to a baking sheet
- Coat the pieces evenly with olive oil and top with seasoning
- Bake for 5 – 8 minutes, flipping halfway through
- Serve and enjoy!
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.